Last Updated: August 12, 2016
Additionally, if you use Klarna Credit, your non-public personal information will be subject to WebBank’s privacy notice and Klarna’s use of such information will be consistent with that privacy notice.
What type of information does Klarna collect?
Klarna collects three basic types of information from you in conjunction with your use of the Klarna Services (collectively, your “personal information”):
- Personally identifiable information, which is any information that can personally identify you and includes, among other things, your name and contact information, such as e-mail address, telephone number, or postal address, and financial information that you provide, such as credit or debit card numbers. We may also collect information about you from third parties such as credit bureaus and data source vendors.
- Non-personally identifiable information, which is information that does not personally identify you, but may be linkable to you. Examples of non-personally identifiable information include device identifiers, IP addresses, demographic information and general location information.
- Non-public personal information, which is collected in connection with the use of Klarna Credit and is subject to WebBank’s privacy notice.
If non-personally identifiable information is directly linked to personally identifiable information, it will be considered personally identifiable information while it is linked. For example, if your payment history and transaction history are linked to your name, then that information will be considered personally identifiable information and subject to heightened privacy and security restrictions, as reflected in this policy.
Aggregate and de-identified information is not considered personally identifiable information.
We may also automatically collect information when you interact with the Klarna Services. We use “cookies,” which are small files that are stored on your computer or device when you use the Klarna Services. Cookies record your preferences and the actions you take on your computer or device. We may also use web beacons and mobile application plug-ins, such as software development kits, application programming interfaces and similar technologies. We use these and other similar technologies for security, to monitor traffic, improve the Klarna Services, and make the Klarna Services easier to use and more relevant to you. We may also use these technologies to personalize your experience, deliver advertisements, and for research and marketing. For more information on cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information provided by the Interactive Advertising Bureau at www.allaboutcookies.org.
How do we use the personal information we collect?
We may use your personal information to:
- Provide the Klarna Services and customer support
- Process transactions and send notices about your transactions
- Resolve disputes and collect payments and/or fees
- Verify the accuracy of and authenticate your information
- Detect, investigate and prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, such as fraud
- Communicate about accounts or transactions and send information about features and enhancements
- Contact you by phone, text (SMS) or email
- Communicate changes to our policies
- Personalize content and experiences, including providing recommendations based on your preferences
- Send offers or promotions for the Klarna Services
- Provide advertising, including advertising based on your use of the Klarna Services or third party websites
- Perform statistical, demographic and marketing analyses of users of the Klarna Services and their purchasing patterns
How do we share personal information?
We may share your personally identifiable information with:
- Service providers and affiliates who help with our business operations, including but not limited to, fraud prevention, underwriting, credit risk, collections, account maintenance, customer service, marketing and technology services
- Credit bureaus and collection agencies, as permitted by law
- Merchants you order your goods or services from using the Klarna Services
- Companies that we plan to merge with or be acquired by
- Third parties, including governmental authorities and law enforcement, to (i) protect or defend the legal rights, interests or property of Klarna and any related entity of Klarna; (ii) protect the safety and security of our customers or members of the public; (iii) protect against fraud; or (iv) comply with applicable law, subpoena or legal process.
We will not share or sell any information that personally identifies you to our affiliates or non-affiliated third parties for their marketing purposes unless you have provided consent, except as set forth in the Klarna Terms of Service.
How do we protect personal information?
Klarna uses reasonable security measures to protect your personal information from unauthorized access and use in compliance with federal law. These measures include computer safeguards and encrypted, secured files and buildings. We also maintain other physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect this information, and access to information is limited to the employees who require it for their job functions.
How can you restrict us from sharing your personal information?
Personally Identifiable Information: You may choose not to provide your personally identifiable information; however, you will not be able to use the Klarna Services.
Emails: You will be able to unsubscribe from marketing emails, but we will still be permitted to contact you for servicing and account-related purposes.
Tracking: You also have choices to limit some tracking mechanisms that collect information when you use the Klarna Services. Many web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser’s setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, certain features of the Klarna Services may not function properly or be accessible to you.
Non-Public Personal Information: Federal law gives you the right to limit the sharing of your non-public personal information only in certain instances, such as sharing information about your creditworthiness with affiliates for their own business needs and sharing information with affiliates and non-affiliates for marketing purposes. Since Klarna only shares this information with affiliates and non-affiliated third parties, such as service providers and our merchant partners, to run our everyday business and to support only our own marketing, there are no applicable limitations for this type of data sharing.
Governing Law and Notice to Non-US Users
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may send an email to Klarna at Legal.email@example.com to request the correction or deletion of any personally identifiable information that you have provided to us. You will not be permitted to examine the personally identifiable information of any other person or entity and may be required to provide us with personally identifiable information to verify your identity prior to accessing any records containing information about you. We may not accommodate a request to change or delete personally identifiable information if we believe doing so would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
How can you contact Klarna?